Briton dies in Spain after being stung by a wasp

A wasp killed a Briton who died in the sports bar where she was stung.

Despite the best efforts of paramedics performing CPR, the 67-year-old woman was pronounced dead on Monday afternoon in Teulada-Moraira, Costa Blanca in Spain.

His tragic death is believed to have been the result of anaphylactic shock as a reaction to a wasp sting.

Reports have it that the Brit lived in the area and at the time enjoyed the company of friends and family at the La Sabatera sports bar.

A spokeswoman for an emergency coordination center run by the regional government said: ‘The alarm was raised at around 2pm local time. The deceased woman was inside the bar-restaurant where the tragedy occurred.

The woman was stung by a wasp at a restaurant in Spain (stock image)

“She was stung and suffered a severe reaction to the venom from the sting. She went into anaphylactic shock and died at the scene.

La Sabatera had only recently reopened to customers after a period of closure as new management took over.

The most severe reactions to wasp stings are called anaphylaxis which occurs when your body goes into shock in response to the wasp venom.

Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction to the wasp sting include swelling of the face, lips, or throat, itching in areas not affected by the sting, and difficulty breathing.

A spokesperson said the Briton went into anaphylactic shock after being stung by a wasp (stock image)

In March, a shopper was shocked to return home from Tesco to find an angry wasp alive in a bag of vegetables she had just bought.

Jenna, 28, was about to hit the £1.50 vegetable mix in the microwave when she spotted a creature wriggling among the carrots and broccoli.

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, be sure to sign up for one of our newsletters here

Sharing her horror on Instagram, Jenna from Essex said she was relieved to have discovered the unwanted ingredient before serving it to her partner’s children.

And last month a huge insect left a six-year-old girl screaming hysterically when she found it in her cake bar at Aldi.

The girl’s grandfather, 42, who wishes to remain anonymous, says he thinks it must be a wasp or possibly even a dragonfly.